Saturday, October 24, 2009

Allow me to do the 2K Insider's job for him

2K Sports released another roster update, but once again did not detail it's contents. Here's what I've uncovered by grazing over it.

Patrick Mills: If you haven't heard, the latest on the injured second round pick is that he's better than Rudy Fernandez and Jerryd Bayless. I tell ya, the more I see from the 2K Insider the more I am convinced he is Isiah Thomas because there is nobody else who is record breakingly bad at evaluating players. 2K Sports talking about the 2K Insider as a quality feature is equivalent to Isiah talking playoffs.

Ime Udoka: In case you haven't heard, Ime Udoka made the team! Except he didn't (for refernece, see Patrick Mills). Would someone let the Insider know Dante Cunningham is a living, breathing, occasionally existing person? I'm banned from posting on his blog, if you didn't know. Apparently he didn't take it very well when I sarcastically brought "oversights" like these to his attention.

The end of Bruce Bowen: Bowen was removed from 2K. Now if only the Insider would get to the countless other retired players and/or international players that haven't played in the NBA in years and aren't coming back.

Three Point Ratings: If anyone bitched about a 3pt rating it was likely adjusted. Jared Jeffries got +7 for his preseason showing (too low IMO). Players with 90+ 3pt were reduced and brought back to normal. Even Garnett saw a 3 point deduction for w/e reason (which is the sole cause of his 1 point overall drop, mind you).

No more 99 Clutch Ratings: All 99's were transformed into 90s. Which doesn't exactly make mathematical sense given the 25, 60, and 90 ranges (wouldn't you want to drop the 60 too since it's no longer the mid point?)

Rajon Rondo vs Joe Johnson: Rondo his mid-range rating dropped dramatically, thanks to the clamoring of fans who think the guy can't stick a 15 foot jump shot. We consider Rondo a bad shooter because he can't hit threes! Jason Kidd is still running around with a 74 mid-range and 84 3pt and he can't shoot either... JJ on the other hand was given an 82 mid-range even though he is SIGNIFICANTLY worse at it than teammates Mike Bibby & Jamal Crawford (85). Johnson only shoots 36% from mid-range and is not even a volume shooter from the zone.


The 66 mid-range club
Lou Williams: 60-178 (.337)
Rajon Rondo: 51-117 (.435)
Matt Harpring: 23-80 (.287)
Yao Ming: 17-45 (.377)
Dan Gadzuric: 15-41 (.365)

Guess which player doesn't belong?

The 82 mid-range club
Raja Bell: 125-285 (.438)
Kevin Garnett: 123-279 (.440)
Joe Johnson: 110-299 (.367)
Jarrett Jack: 94-203 (.463)
Tim Duncan: 82-188 (.436)
Glen Davis: 75-182 (.412)
Grant Hill: 73-154 (.474)
Nene: 54-119 (.453)

Guess which player doesn't belong?


Blake Griffin: +21 dunk and +12 vertical = working towards making the Clips cheesy enough to play online! That would be a welcome sight though, as I consider myself blessed anytime my opponent doesn't pick Lakers/Rockets/Cavs.

Brian Cook: Dear 2K Insider, why do you hate me so? I have been in this league for six years, and yet it's three roster updates already and you still can't find it in your heart to put me in the game? Even while Brent Barry worked for NBA TV all through training camp and Pops Mensah Bonsu is operating on an unguaranteed contract? Oh the hypocrisy!

13 comments:

jonathon said...

I'm not that impressed with the insider either rashidi, seems he doesn't watch basketball just listens to the people that complain on his blog, players that got left out with contracts that have had them for awhile like Serge Ibaka , Rodrigue Beaubois, Lester Hudson and Dante Cunningham and I figure he would get to the Brian Cook thing, I love 2k basketball but thank god you are doing your thing rashidi, I'm glad somebody understands basketball enough to figure out 2k's own rating system, looking forward to your next update.

Anonymous said...

I been saying this since last year the 2k insider is a complete joke...the roster are never updated they need to change the name from living roster to horrific roster. Brian Cook still not in the game makes no sense at all. I got banned from his blog as well for pointed out the obvious which he should have known himself...smh lol.

Anonymous said...

is there a way to play with your roster online?

jonathon said...

my thing is it seems like the insider just throws together these updates, the players on his blog complain about stupid things sometimes and they have the right to but it appears that his attention span is towards a limited numbers of nba players who have big names, when he creates players it seems out of necessity rather than they belong on the roster, then he fills the spot with players that don't belong or it seems like he is behind. Most of us can create 10 players in minutes, so why does it seem like the insider can't do this in a week or so.

Anonymous said...

because he (the 2k insider) is very busy trying to understand what basketball is all about and also what does 2ks engine is all about ...

No way is he going to create a significant amount of players nor is he going to do the few ones he will with any details ...

Anonymous said...

rashidi, I know you go n phases but could you please post the team coaching profiles ...

Anonymous said...

Is it possible for you to place an attachment or post it on your blog a spreadsheet with all the tweaks you have made to the ratings and tendencies so far ...

As you may have guess I am a PS3 user ...

If it is possible, I would like to have your bless to port your rosters to the PS3 community and whole credit will be yours ... I will even name it as "The real 2k insider PS3 roster port" ...

Please feel free to send me a PM on OS ... i am ffaacc03 ...

Anonymous said...

nah I don't believe it is Isiah Thomas, if it is Jerome James would have a 72 instead of a 42.

Rashidi said...

Unfortunately my rosters are not usable online. I would kill for the ability to upload rosters for online private leagues That way I could start the "Rashidi Invitational".

Rashidi said...

I haven't even touched the coach tendencies yet but something tells me they're the same as last year aside from any new categories they implemented. I'll try to get to it when I get a chance.

Rashidi said...

And as far as a spreadsheet goes, call me old fashioned but I'm still using MS Word and the ol' gamefaqs format. I wouldn't want to post anything like that until all teams are completed anyway to save time.

Rashidi said...

I uncovered another change while making edits.

2K finally updated Kwame Brown's ratings after three years of not touching them. They finally increased his embarrassingly low post defense and awareness which gave him a 7 point increase in overall, just enough to push him ahead of Chris Wilcox to ensure he gets the starting job.

Anonymous said...

Where the hell is Serge Ibaka on Oklahoma City? And why is Rip Hamilton now Rick Hamilton? C'mon now 2K!